What's in a Fave?


Hi!


The one question I always dread being asked is “so what’s your favourite film?” - like a lot of people, I could reel off a list of millions of different films I adore for completely different reasons. I never know how I’m supposed to judge that competition - by how the film made me feel? By how well it was made? By what it made me think?

If grilled for an answer, my brain always goes to Pride. The film is primarily centred on Joe, a young adult coming to terms with his sexuality, with a wider focus on the actions of activist group Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners (LGSM) as they fundraise and offer support to the striking miners in rural Wales. The plot is heart-warming and funny, whilst also being sensitive and raising awareness for the group’s actions and LGBT history.

The film features a stellar cast including Imelda Staunton, Andrew Scott, Dominic West and Bill Nighty - along with fantastic breakout performances from George MacKay and Ben Schnetzer. Set in the 80s, this obviously leads to a killer 80s soundtrack, whilst also including sweet moments like Bread and Roses.

The film managed to win 9 awards out of 17 nominations, including the BAFTA for Outstanding Debut by a British Writer/Director/Producer, GALECA’s LGBTQ Film of the Year and Best Supporting Actor/Actress for Andrew Scott and Imelda Staunton respectively.

This is the film that when people say they haven’t seen it I immediately want to sit down and watch it with them, whilst being slightly jealous that they get to experience it for the first time (it's on Netflix if you want to experience it yourself).

I reached out to some of my friends and family to see what their favourite films are, to try and investigate what makes someone favourite film their favourite. Here’s what they said:

Fight Club “the plot twist at the end was amazing and really caught me off guard”

Up
“it's very cute n really tugs on those heartstrings, plus the animation is beautifully done”

Grease 2
“It’s a film that stands out to me as a cheesy classic. I have found so many fond memories of singing along on rainy days, dancing around wishing I was a pink lady. The soundtrack is so memorable and the themes are comically relatable - it’s a blast from my childhood and my love for the film only seems to grow the more I watch it”

Love, Rosie
“this is difficult because to quote myself ‘literally every film is like my favourite film’, but I really relate to Love, Rosie and it hits topics that are quite close to home for me. It’s a very easy watch, but also if I’m in the right mood can be a bit of a tearjerker. Plus the soundtrack is brilliant and the cinematography is beautiful with lots of pretty colours and camera flares.”
Lion King “it without a doubt never fails to cheer me up when I’m feeling down and adds to my smile when I’m happy, and I love and know all the songs off boy heart. I was definitely a Disney kid growing up and it was on my TV nonstop, and of course Mufasa will always be in our hearts”

The Greatest Showman “First of all the music was amazing, and the love story between Zendaya and Zac Efron’s characters reflect a relationship between different races, as well as different sexualities, I absolutely love the message behind it that we should all be able to find family and love regardless of our differences”

Hidden Figures
“it’s the meaning behind it and it portrays a really important message and it resonated with me deeply”

Lara Croft: TombRaider “it’s been my favourite movie since I was little, it think it’s one of the best representations of a kick ass female lead that doesn’t have a true love interest or super powers. She made me realise that a woman doesn’t need a man to be powerful”

Cruel Intentions
“it gives a disturbing yet real view on love and sex, and the manipulation of the two”

Back To The Future
“I love anything time travel - it came out when was 17 and it was just amazing, blew me away and I haven’t stopped watching it since”

The Grand Budapest Hotel
“I love Wes Anderson’s directorial style and the characters are amazing”

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
“we all know I’m a massive geek and I love Star Wars, but ESB is my absolute favourite because it’s the one my dad was most excited to show me, it always makes me happy and is brilliantly made”

All in all, it completely depends not only on how the film is made but the point in your at which you watch the film which highlights it as special in your mind, and through swapping and sharing you may be introduced to a brand new favourite which you can pass on.

Best Wishes

Mel // Film for Thought

Thanks to Andy M, Annie G, Beth T, Lottie C, Maia F, Megan A, Mullen S, Paige T, Sarah W, Sharon M, Tom T & Vicky H for contributing to this post!!




Comments

Popular Posts